Monday, October 22, 2007

Mad Scientist

James Watson, the scientist who sparked a great deal of controversy after his assertion that black people are less intelligent than white people (see previous post below), has now cancelled several speaking engagements in Europe. Watson, who works at the Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory in Long Island, NY, was suspended after the public's reaction to his statements. Watson issued an apology last Thursday, saying "To all those who have drawn the inference from my words that Africa, as a continent, is somehow genetically inferior, I can only apologize unreservedly...That is not what I meant. More importantly, there is no scientific basis for such a belief...I cannot understand how I could have said what I am quoted as having said. I can certainly understand why people reading those words have reacted in the ways they have." Classic case of copping a plea. It doesn't seem to be working in this case, as Watson remains in hot water with his employer. Kudos to Cold Spring for punishing his inexplicable behavior.

No comments: